Cultural Center Organization
• Office Staff – The Executive Director (ED) and Assistant Program Director are responsible for Chinese language and cultural programming. The Administrative Director and Assistant Administrative Director are responsible for the organization’s administration.
• Instructor - Qualified instructors will be appointed the Executive Director and Administrative Director.
• Family Representative – Each course group will elect a Family Representative to facilitate the communication between Family and Instructor.
• Family Liaison Associates (FLA) - Each Session will form their FLA and elect Officers and President. FLA officers will assist in Center activities and communications.
Cultural Center Policies
• Program year - The program year runs from September through May.
• Session – Sessions are held weekly unless there is a holiday. A calendar of when sessions are held will be made available in the fall shortly before the program year begins.
• Registration –Registration ends four weeks after the program year begins in September. There is a price discount with pre-registration.
• Admission age – Participants in the program must be five years or older by December 31 in order to be registered.
• Audit – Participants and their family members will not be permitted to audit without the approval of the ED and the Instructor.
• Withdrawal – Participants may withdraw at any time during a series. Program fee refunds are as follows:
• within two weeks after the program begins in September, refund 75% of program fees• within four weeks after the program begins in September, refund 50% of program fees
• more than four weeks after the program begins in September, no refund
• the $50 registration fee is non-refundable
• Placement – New participants will give a diagnostic test in order to determine the appropriate level.
• Promotion – Participants should attend sessions on time and complete all assigned work. After passing all examinations, participants will be promoted to the next level.
• Repeat – If a participant’s performance as shown by their grades do not meet the Center’s criteria for promotion, he/she may either repeat the level or participate in a diagnostic test offered in the fall in which those who pass will be promoted to the next level.
• Skip – Participants possessing language abilities beyond their assigned session level may skip a level with their instructor’s recommendation, the approval of the ED, and if the participant has passed all of the requirements.
• Attendance – Any participant who will be absent from a session should notify his/her instructor or the office in advance and make his/her own arrangement to make up assigned work. If a participant has been absent for 25% or more of the sessions they will not be advanced to the next level and will be required to repeat the same level the following year.
• Books – In the fall, the Center will provide books, work booklets, and two assigned work booklets for a nominal charge. There will be a $25 fee to replace any lost books or practice booklets.
• Progress Report – At the end of the year in May, participants will receive progress reports containing grades and comments from the instructors.
Cultural Center Activities
• Educational Program: Two Hours per week of language series and one hour of cultural program.
• Graduation and Promotion Ceremony: Held in the last week of the year in May.
• Participants’ Work Display and Performances: Held in the last week of the year in May.
• Chinese Holiday Celebrations: Chinese New Year, Lantern Festival, Moon Festival, etc.
• Publications: Calendar and Newsletters.
The Rights and Responsibilities of the Participants’ Family Members
• Participants’ family members are required to take turns volunteering in the Library and at the snack concession stand.
• Participant safety is everyone’s responsibility. Whoever sees any dangerous situation or someone creating a potentially dangerous situation should correct it accordingly and immediately notify the Security Personnel and a staff member.
• During Sessions, family member should maintain a quiet environment outside of course Rooms.
• Everyone should follow parking and traffic restrictions.
• Everyone should maintain neatness and cleanliness; after each session, please put table and chairs back in their original positions and place trash in trash receptacles.
• Adult courses are open for every adult.
• Everyone has access to library resources. However, borrowing privileges require permission from the staff. In addition, please reshelf books after use.
• Objectional behavior not permitted in the Center includes but is not limited to the following: Smoking, Foul Language, Gum-Chewing, Littering, and Graffiti.
• Dress properly and be on time for your session.
• Follow instructors’ orders.
• Complete assigned work on time.
• Respect instructors and obey rules.